Mount Thorley Warkworth needed to secure 1,300 jobs.

June 25, 2014

Further delays to the planning approvals for Rio Tinto Coal & Allied’s Mount Thorley Warkworth puts at risk the livelihood of 1,300 workers and their families and the future of the Upper Hunter economy.

“The 1,300 employees at Mount Thorley Warkworth along with their families need to know that their economic future is secure.  For that to happen, the approval of the Mount Thorley Warkworth operation on the existing mine footprint is vital,” NSW Minerals Council CEO, Stephen Galilee said today.

“This is an important project not only for the mine employees but for the ongoing economic stability of the the Upper Hunter.  In 2013, Mount Thorley Warkworth spent $188 million with more than 230 suppliers in the Upper Hunter region.”

“Losing 1,300 jobs would be devastating for the regional economy, and the hundreds of local businesses that supply Mount Thorley Warkworth would also be affected,” Mr Galilee said.

“The loss of so many jobs would also have a significant impact on the state economy.  If the project is not approved, it is estimated NSW would forgo around $1.5 billion in economic stimulus through salaries and wages, taxes and royalties over the next 20 years,” he said.

“Recent research has confirmed that there has been an increase in community support for continuing operations at Mount Thorley Warkworth.  This reflects the understanding within the local community of the importance of the operation to the economic strength of the Upper Hunter.”

“This echoes recent research by the NSW Minerals Council, which found increasing support for a strong mining sector in NSW.  A survey recently conducted by respected research company, Crosby Textor, found that 87 percent of people believed mining was important for regional NSW and 88 percent of people said it was important to the state as a whole,” Mr Galilee said.

“Everyone who understands the importance of the continuation of the Mount Thorley Warkworth mine should lodge a submission in support of the project,” he said.  

Submissions can be lodged at: www.voiceformining.com.au/supportwarkworth

Contact: Chris Rath | crath@nswmining.com.au | 0409 758 734 | 02 9274 1419

More News

Government response to Minerals Industry Act..

November 06, 2015

The NSW Government’s response to the Minerals Industry Action Plan prepared last year by the Minerals Industry Taskforce highlig...

MYEFO message to NSW: get serious about proj..

December 17, 2013

The strong message for the NSW Government out of today’s MYEFO report is that the mining approvals process in our state must be ...

Reckless amendments risk jobs in planning fa..

November 28, 2013

The jobs of thousands of mining workers and their families have been put at risk, because Labor and the Shooters Party have chos...

Sign up for more information and Updates from NSW Mining